This lesson is taken from the ICCAMS pilot study.
|To investigate relationships between variables
Mini assessment – Which is larger?
The Mini-assessment can either be done before or after this lesson.
The problem is used in the next lesson, so this mini-assessment can be used to gauge where to start.
The aim is to see what approaches students use to compare algebraic expressions.
• Do students understand the algebraic notation?
• Do they focus on the operations (‘multiplication makes bigger’) ?
• Do they evaluate the expressions for specific values of n ?
• Do they respond to the fact that we don’t know the value of n ?
• Do they realise that the difference between the expressions might change as n varies?